Thursday, March 12, 2015

Differences

Because I'm human, I am easily depressed when things don't go my way. But because I'm human, I'm also able to easily smile when I see someone else smile.

Entering the prayer room in Students' Union, I sat and recited the holy verses whilst waiting for 'Asr time. A sister came in while happily spreading salam to each and every sister in the room, myself included. She sat in front of me. I think she too, recited softly. 'Asr time came.

I started praying 'Asr and a minute later, she came to join me so I automatically switched my niyah to becoming imam. We prayed 4 raka'ats together. I realised during the prayer, there were several movements of ours that were different. I did not let it bother me (like it did when I first arrived here) until the end of the prayer. After the last tahiyyat, she immediately turned to me, smiled widely and said, "Jazakillahu khaiyr sister."

I could only smile and reply, "Wajazakillahu khaiyr."

Differences. There will always be differences in each and every one of us. From the way we perceive things, to how we dress, how we talk, how we practice our Islam. Yet differences are not meant to divide us. We are one and the same: of flesh and blood. Islam in the West has opened my eyes to respect the differences in the way we practice our religion. But one thing remains the same: we submit to The One and Only. He keeps our rope tied together through faith.

So I don't know who you are sister, but your smile warms my heart and soul. May Allah bless you.

For making my day,
thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment